As central parts of the cooling circuit, water pumps are among the most widely demanded spare parts. They are powered mechanically, transport the coolant through the circuit and build up the system pressure. There have been technical innovations in water pumps, but most passenger cars and commercial vehicles on the market still have belt-driven water pumps. The next generation will be electronically controlled water pumps. These are driven according to requirements, like the compressor in the air-conditioning circuit. This optimizes the operating temperature.
Technical requirements placed on water pumps:
- Extremely large bandwidth between cold start and operating temperature: max. - 40 °C in winter to around + 120 °C.
- Pressure differentials of 0.5 bar negative pressure to 3 bar overpressure
- Pump speeds of approx. 1,000 rpm to approx. 8,000 rpm.
- Coolant flow rate at 60,000 km: approx. 7.7 million liters (more than 48,000 bathtubs).
The service life of a water pump is heavily influenced by the following factors:
- Proper installation.
- Care and maintenance of the cooling system.
- Coolant quality.
- Condition and functional capability of adjoining units.
Lack of maintenance, improper use of coolants, corrosion and similar factors can irreversibly damage the water pump. A malfunctioning water pump can be recognized by noises, leaks and engine overheating.
Water pumps and kits from Behr Hella Service fulfill the most stringent requirements. Our thermal management expertise sets true standards for functionality and fit.
Additional information about water pumps from Behr Hella Service: